Lower back pain is one of the most common causes of disability in the United States, and for good reason. The lower back is essential to keeping the body upright and supporting many of the body's movements. From walking, to exercising, bending down, and playing around with your loved ones, the lower back is essential to perform all these activities. As such, lower back pain can greatly reduce your quality of life, especially if it’s now chronic. Whether you're suffering from acute or chronic lower back pain, there is help available through a trained chiropractor.
At Taber Chiropractic in Bowie, MD, we have trained chiropractors dedicated to helping patients feel relief from lower back pain and more. Due to the many causes of lower back pain, it's important to find a chiropractor that can help provide unique treatments that are specifically tailored to your needs.
What Are Some Common Causes of Lower Back Pain?
Because the lower back is used in so many different activities, there are many causes to lower back pain. Some of the most common causes of lower back pain include pulled lower back muscles due to improper lifting technique, or simply twisting in an awkward motion.
Lumbar disc injuries, can also result in lower back pain. The cartilaginous disc between the bony vertebrae can bulge, protrude, or herniate. This type of injury usually has a lot of inflammation and can pinch and irritate nerves in the spine. Other issues that can result in this type of pain that includes the skeletal system may include:
- Spinal stenosis, which is a condition in which the spinal column narrows and compresses nerves within the spine. The patient often has pain down one or both legs that is worse with walking and extending (bending backwards).
- Sciatica is also another diagnosis where the sciatic nerve that runs down the leg becomes irritated and painful.
- Facet syndrome causes increased pain with bending backwards and can also be a culprit for lower back pain.
- Mechanical joint dysfunction is where the joint is fixated and irritated. It will usually start as stiffness, but then progresses to increased pain and inflammation.
- Lumbar Strain when the muscles become injured. Back pain often has muscle spasm, but it typically isn’t the primary concern. Muscle spasm is typically secondary to a pinched nerve or joint dysfunction.
Can a Chiropractor Help Alleviate Lower Back Pain?
A trained chiropractor can help provide treatment for your lower back pain by determining the root cause and determining whether treatment is needed for injured muscles or an injured spine.
What Treatments Can a Chiropractor Use?
Treatment can include spinal adjustments (chiropractic manipulative therapy), which gently realign the spine and can help restore balance as well as take pressure off surrounding compressed nerves and stiff joints providing quick relief. A chiropractor can help determine the root cause of your pain and provide effective treatment.
Find Help for Lower Back Pain from a Chiropractor on Our Team
Schedule an appointment today at Taber Chiropractic to help find relief from your lower back pain and get help to start living pain-free again! Call us at (301) 352-4500 Bowie, MD, clinic.